Hello from St Petersburg Russia

I this section you can introduce yourself, post invitations and more...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

stanj
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Hello from St Petersburg Russia

Post by stanj »

Hello Forum
I found out about the site and forum after seeing links to it related to the D7000 which I have been interested in.
Reading some of the posts, I enjoyed the international flavor of opinions and courtesy displayed. I am an American who moved to St Petersburg Russia 8 years ago and the city, and its beauty reignited my interest in photography that had been dormant for over 20 years I got a D90 2 years ago when it came out, as my first DSLR after having a Canon A1 years ago. My modest budget for the camera ended up generating different priority list for personal expenses and have acquired a good collection of quality lenses.
My main interests are candids, dance clubs and event shooting, drama/ballet/ and jazz concerts, and architecture. The D90 has proven to be an excellent camera for these subjects and I have been very happy that I bought it despite knowing almost nothing about it at the time I bought it. I bought in entirely on feel, after entering the store prepared to buy another brand and model that disappointed me in feel and size seeing in the store for the first time in person.

Stan
Stany Buyle

Re: Hello from St Petersburg Russia

Post by Stany Buyle »

A warm welcome. I hope to see soon some of your pictures from that beautiful city on this forum.
Vriendelijke groet,

Stany
Biljart speel je tussen de oren.
http://www.esbeecreations.be
Rita
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by Rita »

1+ for some pictures from St.-Petersburg. Gorgeous city...
Guy Van Hooveld
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

+2 welcome and post some pictures !
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki
stanj
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by stanj »

Thank you for the warm welcome.
I am so new I do not know the proper ettique in posting: size limits, whether embedded or linked and proper place. I see the forum categories for various subject matters, what about in a text forum such as this one?
I went out this weekend and took only photos inside a bar, and 2 clubs because the weather was dreary outside...the sights were pretty nice there also;>)
Stan
St Petersburg
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by DiederikVP »

stanj wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome.I am so new...Stan -St Petersburg
+3 for the welcome. ;)
Stany explained "how to post a picture on this forum" here: http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/view ... ?f=53&t=16
"StPetersburg" should most likely be posted under landscape-travel but it doesn't matter if you would post them here neither... http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/viewforum.php?f=49
For sure with text is even more appreciated... For the viewers/readers...
Regards,
Diederik.
stanj
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by stanj »

Hello Again from St Petersburg
You are all correct in thinking the city is beautiful, which is one of the many reasons I moved from California 7.5 years ago after about 100 visits over 34 year. I visited a lot of countries, always interested in the details of the culture rather than tourism or sightseeing. So far the total is 86 countries but I imagine that total will not increase much, mostly due to having a more restricted income now. I am more interested in every day scenes on my walks than the spectacular cathedrals and palaces mostly because I have seen those probably thousands of times. More typical walking around snap shots are like this, the first shot with a new lens, hand held 200mm.
or
But we might be talking about different definitions of beauty......Although walking around the streets for hours almost daily and passing classically inspired architecture from the origins of the city starting in 1703, one of the other most appealing beauty is in human form ;)
I have always been interested in night life, and visit clubs and dance venues, if not ballet or classical concerts most nights. My friends tend to have something all in common, which is a very common trait here in deed: smart, feminine young women who are quite attractive, but sane, balanced and just nice people to hang out with. For example snapped this Thursday of a friend while sitting at a English pub bar:
or this one of my two favorite dance buddies
or Irina who is a pro photographer who I met by snapping this photo with a 70-200 from across the room and showing it to her.
Or Svetlana who I met by taking this photo across a crowded club where a British dinosaur band was playing.
So you can see why I enjoy this place so much :D
Stan

Return to “New member - Introduction - "About me..." - Welcome - Invitations - Info how to join this forum”